Thursday, May 8, 2008

Prayer

I am not a religious person. I don't attend church or read the bible. The church I attended growing up was Church of Christ. When I was in 5th grade my father got involved with a business partner that committed fraud. I don't know all the particulars but I was told dad had no idea. I will never know the full truth and don't really want to. The trial went on for years and when I was in 8th grade my father was sent to federal prison where he stayed for two years. My mother had never worked a day since she got married. She still had me and my brother living at home to support. When my mother went to the church for financial aid they would not help her because of the circumstances. Confidentiality was broken and everyone found out a very private matter. It really changed how people reacted towards our family. I have felt that you help people who are in need regardless of the circumstances. People should have unconditional positive regard for other people. We all know that 13 is not easy and this made it worse. It left a bad taste in my mouth for Church in general. I have not been to church since I was 17.

My point is that although I am not religious I believe in God, the power of prayer and positive energy. There have been studies that show that people who are sick when prayed for recover more so then people who aren't prayed for. If I need to be prayed for I will seek it from family and friends. My family and friends know that they can seek prayer from me.

Today I was working out at Curves. There is another women who works out at the same time I do. We have spoken during our workouts. It helps pass the time. We were talking about all the houses being built. I had mentioned that we were remodeling our home so we can put it on the market in two years because of the growth in our neighborhood. She then asked if I had kids because it is hard on them to transfer schools. I said no but trying with no luck. She said it was in God's hands. I told her God and my doctor. So we started talking about my journey. I have mentioned that I don't mind talking about my infertility. She has two children but had two miscarriages. Well I ended my workout and went to do stretches. She then came up to me and asked if she could pray for me. I told her of course. It really touched me because out of all the people that are acquaintances I have told, no one has asked to pray for me.

4 comments:

Lost in Space said...

So sorry for all you went through especially at such a critical growth time in your life. ((Hugs)). I share the same feelings toward "organized" religion, but like you have a strong belief in God and the power of prayer. Not many people understand this so it is refreshing to hear I'm not the only one. (:

The woman you mentioned sounds very caring and I love that she asked you.

Just so you know, I pray for all my online buddies so you have some more prayers being said in your name. (:

Lost in Space said...

You've been tagged! You can check my blog for details and do it if you want to.

Miah said...

Thanks Brenda. I have to think about those questions before I post.

Anonymous said...

I actually got to take a whole class in college- the psychology of religion- that looked at research on prayer and positive thoughts. Some of the research found that even when people didn't know they were being prayed for the prayers seemed to make a difference.
I think it's really cool that you were willing to share your story with her. And that she asked if she could pray for you. ((hugs))