Thursday, April 10, 2008

First post

I have recently been reading women’s blogs who are struggling with infertility. I have kept a journal since my early 20's. It has always been a place for me to place my thoughts and make since out of life. It has been validating to read other women's blogs who are struggling with fertility issues. I decided that it was time to try online journal

A little about myself. My husband and I have been married 8 years. We have one dog a beagle and three black cats. I have my degree in social work. I worked as a case manager for adults with disabilities for six years. I loved it and miss it. I suffer from severe migraines and have mild narcolepsy. I was on a considerable amount of medication for 8 years for both. I needed to stop them to TTC. Since I did not know how my body would react to not taking the medications I quit my job. I felt it would not be fair to my employer or my clients to not be at my best. At the time I thought I would get pregnant and return to work within a year or year and a half. I soon learned that getting pregnant would not be as easy as having sex at the appropriate time of the month as I was told. I soon found out that I had PCOS. It was devastating but gave me some hope at the time. At least there was something I could do to help. I immediately started trying to loose the 40 pounds I had gained in 3 months due to the PCOS and started metformin. I was doing really well and being very proactive about getting pregnant. I had a lap which found mild endo on my left ovary. The cycle after my lap I started 50 mg of clomid and got my first BFP. I was elated and could not stop smiling. I just knew that not getting pregnant was going to be my struggle. No way would life give me a miscarriage to deal with. I was wrong. At 8 weeks I started spotting and within a few days had lost all pregnancy symptoms. I started cramping badly and went to the ER. I was having a miscarriage. I went through a week of betas and ultrasound to make sure before I had a d & c. I was devastated. Life gave me miscarriage too. How was I going to make it? It was the lowest point in my life. How was I going to pull myself out of this? The doctor said to wait 3 cycles. 3 cycles at the time was an eternity. Since I had to take clomid I had no choice. I cried every day for 3 cycles. If only I could get pregnant again it would be better. 3rd cycle came and I tried again. BFN went up to 100 milligrams of clomid the next cycle BFN, tried another 100 mg cycle BFN, went up to 150 milligrams BFP. This time I felt different. I wasn't excited. I was scared to death of another miscarriage. I tried to be positive it was very hard. It was common to have one loss I kept telling myself. I won't have another. This will be a healthy pregnancy. Around 7 weeks my breasts were no longer hurting and I was no longer hungry all the time. I knew it had happened again. I had to go through the week of betas and ultrasounds just to tell me what I all ready knew. I did another d & c. I just wanted it to end. This is all so unfair. I did the RPL testing and it was all negative. I soon found out my thyroid which has been hypo was hyper. It turns out to be a multi nodular goiter. I went through the test and had a biopsy. For now my thyroid is functioning normal and I don't need medication. I went back to the RE after that and had the clomid challenge and a saline sonogram. The clomid challenge was normal. I was so worried about early menopause but it is not the case. The sonogram showed a polyp which I had removed on April 8th. I go in two weeks for a post op and find out what my treatment is for next cycle.

A link to my chart and fertility history




1 comment:

Adrianne said...

Welcome to the world of blogging, I'm finding it really addictive!

I'm so sorry for your losses! IF sucks.

I'm so jealous of the social work career. That is what I want to go back to school for once we have some LO's running around. My degree now is in Criminal Justice, which I am getting NO use out of!